Pelham Preservation & Garden Society
HomeAbout the OrganizationProjects & InitiativesPreserving Your HomePlanting & GardeningBecoming a MemberPelham HistoryLinksContact Us
Restoration of Pelham Memorial High School's Lobby

NewPMHSPostcard.jpg

The Pelham Preservation Society, in cooperation with the Pelham Board of Education, completed an ambitious project to restore the lobby of Pelham Memorial High School.  Designed by the firm of Tooker & Marsh, PMHS is considered one of the most significant Collegiate Gothic Style buildings in Westchester County.  The lobby had been painted in non-historic colors with unsympathetic lighting.  Pelham Preservation retained the services of EverGreen Architectural Arts, which conducted paint analysis of all surfaces of the lobby, examined the Art Deco WPA bas-relief and analyzed the memorial bronze plaques dedicated to the servicemen from Pelham who gave their lives in WWI and WWII.   From this analysis and the study of historic photographs, a paint and glazing scheme was assembled for the lobby.  The PMHS restoration project was coordinated with other work  undertaken at PMHS by the Pelham School District and was completed as part of the final phase in the summer of 2010.

PMHSLobbyREV.jpg
PMHS First Floor Lobby as it appeared in 1947

Lobby Restoration Work

LobbyAfterWeb.jpg
PMHS Lobby After Restoration

LobbyConstructionWEB.jpg
PMHS Lobby During Restoration Work

 WPA Bas Relief Restoration

The "Works Progress Administration" was a New Deal Era program designed to employ artists during the Great Depression.  Several WPA projects were completed at PMHS, including three murals in the library and this plaster Bas relief that Pelham Preservation Society restored as part of the lobby project.

Lobby2AfterWeb.jpg
WPA Relief After Restoration

ReliefBronze.jpg
WPA Relief Before Restoration

Restoration of the Memorial Plaques

WWIPlaque.jpg

WWIIStrippedWEB.jpg